Question by Jake Kane: What if I feel like i lost my artist’s touch?
Hi, I am a high school student, and I guess you could say I’m lost in my arts side. please read ALL of the FOLLOWING then respond to me please
Quick note: I feel really stupid asking this question, any true artist knows asking a question regarding if they can draw or not or if they are good at drawing is one of the most ridiculous, rhetoric questions there is……BUT i feel like i have no choice….because i’m lost.
Now, I really feel like I lost an artist ability that I once had, and the fact that you feel like you once had the “touch” but now you don’t really tears your soul apart. Not only that, I feel like I lost my ability to tell stories, where I used to always write stories The two crucial things in becoming my dream job as an animator or manga/comic artist. Or perhaps….this is not my dream job anymore, as I feel like I’m wasting my time sitting there trying to force myself to produce panels of my graphic novel, and I feel like my interest has gone elsewhere.
I know people will answer stuff like “No you can’t lose your artist’s talent, it is born within, just keep practicing” or “just start drawing again, go with basics” or “if not, just take a rest for a while, if you’re facing a block.” Well it’s been half a year. And for some reason I “can’t” literally can’t start drawing. I am a perfectionist, but this has never happened to me before.
People also tell me, “learning the human figure is all you need to become a manga/comic artist/animator!” I find that completely false. It may be quite important, but not all. I’d always been good at drawing vehicles. To me, learning how to draw is the basics. Knowing how to draw any type of car, train, plane, boat, tank, animal, human from any era in any setting at ANY angle with any expression is “knowing how to draw.” Then you start developing your story, in which I already have some stories inside my head. Use watercolor or acrylic with pen and ink and dark pencil outlines sometimes for foregrounds.
Now I’m stuck, because I can’t draw anything, and I can’t force myself to draw anything. Any suggestions on that?
When you draw, HOW do you draw (emphasis on how). now when i draw i can’t submerge myself into a state where I can’t “think as I draw”
This is all stupid talk. I shouldn’t be asking this, I should be drawing. But hopefully someone will find an answer for me
Answer by Rose K.
I cant always draw well, either. Sometimes I try and it just ends up in the trashcan. But sometimes I just get this overwhelming feeling that I have to draw, and it comes out beautiful! You can’t force yourself to draw anything, it just takes the right feeling. It’s hard to explain, but don’t give up drawing. Artists aren’t made through perfection, rather, they are born with a gift and must wait for the gift’s timing. Not ours. I hope you don’t give up.
-Someone who is also in high school
Give your answer to this question below!
- CATIA V6 | Industrial Layout | CATIA Natural Sketch for 3D Sketching Encounter (4904)
- In-Spot Augmented Reality 3D Sketching of Mechanical Techniques (4860)
- Audi R8 V10 Speed Drawing with pencil - juho234 (4848)
- Chuck Jones shows how to draw Bugs Bunny (4800)
- Aikon2-Skediomata robotic technique drawing faces (4778)
- Artist Paints Post-Mastectomy Angelina Jolie Topless Portrait - Huffington Post May 24, 2013Artist Paints Post-Mastectomy Angelina Jolie Topless PortraitHuffington PostAndersson -- who is the […]
- Tantehorse company brings surrealist 'physical mime' to Washington - Washington Post May 24, 2013Tantehorse company brings surrealist 'physical mime' to WashingtonWashington PostCechova b […]
- Richard Butler Art: Psychedelic Furs Frontman Shows Off 'Ahatfulofrain' (PHOTOS) - Huffington Post May 24, 2013Richard Butler Art: Psychedelic Furs Frontman Shows Off 'Ahatfulofrain' (PHOTOS)Huffington […]
- Up close and personal - The Age May 24, 2013Up close and personalThe AgeFreud's talent has become legendary, thanks to his ability to turn […]
- Lush Life | A Fairy Tale Retreat in Wales - New York Times (blog) May 24, 2013Lush Life | A Fairy Tale Retreat in WalesNew York Times (blog)Perhaps it's a reflection of his […]
Recent Search Terms
- oil painting lessons
- catia v6 3d sketch tutorial
- how to put glazing on oil portraits
- catia v6 natural sketch download
- how to draw jennifer lawrence step by step with pencil
- draw a shoe from front
- how to place a grid over an image
- how to draw eyes on fondant
- turntable drawing machine construction
- how to draw shoes from the front